Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Moments That Speak

There are several instances of life that I find it difficult to measure success.  Do I base how well something went on aesthetics, compliments, or numbers of recipients?  This is especially difficult when you're trying to spread the love of Christ.  However, the most beautiful occurrence is when God just makes everything stop and truly reveals Himself to you.  I am fortunate enough to say that I witnessed such a moment along with some other members of my church tonight at our first ever Trunk R' Treat.

This was the first one, so I wasn't sure how much people would be interested to attend or to help.  All I could do was put my trust in scripture.  It was particularly Matthew 10:42 that really solidified God's plan for this event.  This scripture says, "...And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”  For this event we replaced "cup of cold water" with candy to really put it into perspective.  How powerful is it to realize that we were not just giving candy to adolescents, but to disciples of Jesus Christ!  

As we went through the motions to set up, particularly setting up our rain shelter, the clouds parted to open the sky up and reveal the sun.  We haven't seen sunshine in over two days and, in a sea of clouds, the sun appeared.  It didn't appear through the clouds or we didn't see a little brightness in part of the sky.  We saw the sun.  There was even a rainbow on the other side of the sky.  We were overtaken by the beauty!  Did I mention there was no rain during the entire Trunk R' Treat?  It was as if God said to us, "O.K. I think its great that you are building this shelter from the rain.  Go ahead build it, but you are not going to need it.  I will bless your prayers.  I will be with you as you love on my children!"

  

No comments: